Chinese Seafood: Cantonese Shrimp Recipe
- 3 tbsps oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely crushed
- 1lb peeled shrimp
- 2 inch piece root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 oz uncooked pork or bacon, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1¼ cups stock or water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsps stock or water
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- #This quick and easy recipe is suitable for those times when unexpected friends drop in for lunch.# Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the shrimp and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes. Remove to a dish. Keep warm.
- Add the remaining oil to the wok and fry the ginger and pork for 3-4 minutes until it loses its color.
- Add the mixed sauce ingredients to the wok and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the onions and cook for 1 minute. Add the beaten eggs and cook for 1-2 minutes, without stirring, until it sets. Spoon the egg mixture over the shrimp.
- Alternatively, add the shrimp along with the beaten eggs. Allow the eggs to set and then mix gently. Serve at once. #TlME#Preparation takes 10 minutes, cooking takes 15 minutes. #COOK’S TIP# Dry sherry is always a good substitute for Chinese wine so keep a bottle specially for this purpose.