Chinese Prawns in Chilli Sauce Recipe
This recipe comes from Szechuan; in the western part of China, where the emphasis is on hot spicy food combined with strongly flavoured vegetables.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 8 oz (250 g) cooked peeled prawns
- 4 oz (125 g) mangetout
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon tomato purée
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- Whole prawns in shell, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a wok, add the spring onions and ginger and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the prawns, mangetout, chilli powder, tomato purée, salt, sugar and sherry and stir-fry briskly for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the sesame oil and arrange on warmed individual plates. Serve immediately, garnished with whole prawns.