Chinese Bean Buns Recipe
The Chinese do not often eat desserts but this one is a favorite. Time: Preparation takes about 2 hours, including proving time, cooking takes about 30 minutes.
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 oz lard
- ¼ cup warm water
- 2 tsps dried yeast
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 oz sweet bean paste
- 1 oz sugar
- 1 oz chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp lard
- Bring the milk almost to the boil. Stir in the sugar, salt and lard. Cool slightly.
- Put the warm water and yeast into a bowl and stir to mix. Add the lukewarm milk mixture.
- Add the beaten egg and most of the flour and beat until smooth.
- Add the remaining flour and mix to a dough. Turn dough out onto a well-floured board and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl. Brush the dough with oil and cover. Leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about 1 hour).
- Heat the filling ingredients together in a wok for 5-6 minutes until smooth and shiny. Remove and cool. Divide the filling into 12-14 portions.
- Knead the risen dough again for 2 minutes and then divide the dough into 12-14 portions. Flatten into thick circular shapes 4 inches in diameter. Place a chopstick on each circle of dough to market it in half, and then in half again. Cut along the marks to within 1/3 of the center.
- Place one portion of filling in the center of the dough circle and fold the cut ends in to meet in the center, to form a rosette. Secure by pinching ends of dough together.
- Place a piece of greased foil over the pinched ends and place the buns on a greased baking tray. Brush with a little milk. Bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes.