Chilli And Black Bean Sauce With Garlic-Fried Breadcrumbs
- 400g tinned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 celery stick, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g tinned plum tomatoes, drained (reserve the juice), deseeded and chopped
- A small piece of dried chilli or 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 250g dried pasta, such as small tubetti, spirali or penne
- 50g rocket
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50g Parmesan cheese shavings, to serve
- #garlic-fried breadcrumbs#
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 25 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- #Black beans make a nutritious and satisfying pasta topping. They go perfectly with a tasty tomato sauce and garlicky breadcrumbs.# Heat the oil gently in a saucepan. Add the carrot, onion, celery, garlic and beans and stir gently in the oil for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables soften. Add the tomatoes and chilli or cinnamon and stir again. Heat to simmering, cover with a lid and cook over very low heat for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time. You might need to add a little reserved tomato juice to keep the sauce moist. Add salt and pepper to taste and discard the chilli or cinnamon stick.
- Towards the end of the cooking time for the sauce, bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta, and cook until al dente, or according to the instructions on the packet. Drain well.
- To make the garlic-fried breadcrumbs, heat the oil in a frying pan. Put the breadcrumbs, rosemary and garlic in a bowl and mix well. Add the mixture to the pan and fry until crisp and golden. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper, leave to drain and cool.
- Add the sauce and rocket to the pasta and stir well. Serve topped with the breadcrumbs and Parmesan shavings.