Celery Root and Chestnut Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 celery roots, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 400 g /about 1 lb roasted chestnuts, cut in half, (reserve 4-5 chestnuts for garnish ) *
- 6-8 cups chicken stock
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
- Sea salt and pepper
- A generous pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 – 2 tablespoons honey
- #A soothing winter soup with great flavors which makes the best of the market’s bounty. Buy roasted chestnuts to cut down on preparation time.# Preheat oven to 350 °F / 180 °C.
- Arrange diced celery on a baking sheet and coat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt. Roast in preheated oven until tender.
- Meanwhile sauté onion and leek in remaining oil until slightly browned. Add roasted celery root and chestnuts. Cook for 5 minutes stirring all the time.
- Add 6 cups stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes or so. Blend mixture in food processor just enough to leave it a bit chunky or blend until it turns into a smooth purée. Add seasoning and spices.
- If soup is too thick add rest of stock. For a richer taste fold in some cream. And lastly, add honey. Taste to correct seasoning.
- Ladle into a bowl. Garnish with chopped up roasted chestnuts.
- For an additional crunch sprinkle a handful of toasted and chopped hazelnuts.