Celeriac Carpaccio Recipe
- 4 medium celeriac, root ends removed, peeled and cut in half diagonally
- #For The Onion Marmalade#
- 3 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon each butter and olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 /2 cup white wine
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Parmesan cheese shavings
- #Here is a sophisticated vegetarian starter in which the marinated paper-thin slices of celery root stand in for beef. Onions and celery complete each other in both flavor and texture. Consider using thinly sliced zucchini in place of celeriac for a softer texture.# First make the onion marmelade. Sweat the onion in oil and butter in a skillet over medium low heat until soft, Stir occasionally.
- Next add the vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper and continue cooking until onions are caramelized. Be patient as you do this because you may need to stand in front of the stove for a good half hour.
- Then it is time to add the wine. Stir and cook until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Spoon the onions into a food processor and purée coarsely. Return marmelade into a pan, taste and add more sugar or salt as needed.
- Meanwhile prepare the celeriac. Bring a pot of water to the boil. Add the halved celery roots and cook until crisp on the outside and tender in the middle. Drain and pat dry.
- When the celeriac is completely cooled, slice into paper thin slices using a mandolin or a vegetable slicer. Squeeze some lemon juice over the slices and season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble this starter spoon about 2-3 spoonfuls of onion marmelade onto each plate. Spread it into a flat disk by using back of spoon.
- Arrange prepared celery root slices over the marmelade slightly overlapping but forming only one layer. Scatter 4-5 Parmesan cheese shavings and garnish with fresh dill sprigs.
- Place a piece of lemon on each plate and serve.