Caribbean Flambé Pineapple Recipe
Getting Ahead: The ice cream can be made up to 2 weeks ahead and kept in the freezer. The fruit can be prepared up to 4 hours ahead, then flambeed just before serving. A Note From Eatopic: Flames can rise quite high, so stand back and keep hair and face away from the flames. Use a long-handled metal spoon for basting. Plus time for homemade ice cream. TIP: If you are making your own ice cream, it will be very firm if made in advance, so let it soften in the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving. Order of Work:
- 1 pineapple, weighing about T kg (2 lb)
- 2 1/2 oz (75 g) pecan halves
- 1 1/2 oz (45 g) long-shred desiccated coconut
- 2 1/2oz (75 g) unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 oz (100 g) soft brown sugar
- 2 1/2fl oz (75 ml) dark rum
- Vanilla ice cream for serving
- #Rings of fresh pineapple are sauteed with brown sugar and pecans, flamed with dark rum, and topped with desiccated coconut. Vanilla ice cream is a cooling accompaniment. When choosing a pineapple, give a quick tug to the plume – when ripe, the leaves should detach easily and the fruit should have a sweet odour. If you are short of time, commercial ice cream can replace the homemade vanilla ice cream.# Prepare the Ingredients: Heat the oven to 190° C (375° F, Gas 5) Cut the plume and base from the pineapple, then peel it, working from top to bottom following the curve of the fruit. “Use chefs knife to cut geel from pineapple”
- Cut the pineapple across into 12 thin slices and remove the cores with the pastry cutter.
- Put the pecans in one cake tin and the coconut in the other, spreading them both evenly.
- Toast the pecans and coconut in the oven until golden, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally with the wooden spoon so that they brown evenly. Let cool. “Nuts are crisper when toasted” #Flambe the Pineapple# Heat the butter in the frying pan until melted. Add the brown sugar. “Heat butter gently so it does not brown.” “Add brown sugar once butter has melted”
- Cook over low heat, stirring with the metal spoon, until the brown sugar has melted, about 2 minutes.
- Add the pineapple rings and cook until tender, 3-5 minutes, turning them once. “Turn pineapple rings with palette knife”
- Sprinkle the toasted pea pecan halves on top of the pineapple rings. “Scatter nuts evenly in pan” “The pineapple rings should lie flat in the pan so, if necessary, cook the rings in batches.”
- Turn the heat to medium high. Add the rum to the pan and bring the liquid to a boil. “Pour rum into simmering butter-and-sugar mixture”
- Hold a lighted match to the side of the pan to set the rum alight Baste the fruit with the sauce until the flames subside, 2-3 minutes. #Serve the Dish Transfer 2 rings of pineapple to each serving plate and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Spoon the rum-and-pecan sauce over the pineapple. Sprinkle with the toasted coconut and serve immediately. “Fresh pineapple rings have a glaze of butter, brown sugar, and rum.” “Vanilla ice cream gives a cool and creamy touch”#