Cabbage and Potato Soup Recipe
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped leek, white and light green parts (dark green parts saved to use in Making vegetable broth)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons mustard of choice
- 3 – 4 drops hot red pepper sauce such as Tabasco
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Mixture of 1/2 cup cream and 1/2 cup milk or soy milk
- #A hearty soup that tastes even better when served with Roquefort Cheese croutons.# Combine stock, potato and cabbage in a large soup pot. Simmer over medium heat until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile sauté garlic and leek in butter in another pot over medium high heat until tender. Stir in flour and cook, stirring all the time. Pour in milk and stir to incorporate.
- Cook until thickened. Add mustard and hot red pepper sauce. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Stir into stock and vegetable mixture. Slowly pour in cream and milk mixture.
- Cook over low heat for about 10 minutes until very hot. Do not boil or cream may curdle.
- Ladle into soup bowls and drop in a few croutons. Pass the rest around.