Cabbage and Cheese Deep Dish Pie Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 onions, cut in half and very thinly sliced
- 500 g / 1 lb cabbage leaves, separated, stalks cut out and discarded, each leaf quartered
- Grated nutmeg
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 250 g / 8 oz hard cheese of your choice such as Parmesan or Gruyere, sliced into 1/2 cm thick pieces
- 8-10 large slices of hearty white bread
- 3-4 cup warmed vegetable broth, seasoned with freshly grated pepper
- #Cabbage doesn’t appeal to everyone’s taste but this dish is sure to be a winner served with boiled meats or served on its own as a filling vegetarian dish.# Preheat oven to 350 °F / 180 °C.
- Heat oil in a deep saucepan. Sweat the onions in the oil over medium to low heat until translucent. Halfway through add hot water and cook stirring occasionally until the liquid evaporates by half.
- Then add cabbage leaves. Season with salt and pepper and grate a generous amount of nutmeg. Cover pot and cook until cabbage leaves wilt and all liquid evaporates.
- Oil a deep ovenproof dish. Start assembling the deep-dish pie. Place half of bread slices to form the bottom layer. Spread half of cabbage leaves and cover with cheese slices, slightly overlapping each other.
- Repeat layering once more with bread, cabbage and cheese. Press down with fingers. Pour vegetable broth to come all the way up to the top of the dish. Finish by sprinkling the top with red pepper.
- Bake in the oven until top browns and it’s bubbling on the sides. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 or more minutes before serving.