Broiled Pears in Caramel Sauce Recipe
- #For The Sauce#
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon chilled butter
- #For The Pears#
- 3 large ripe pears
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- #The sauce is superb with pears and can be prepared ahead. It tastes great over ice cream or puddings as well. Yummy!# Preheat the broiler on high.
- Make the sauce first. Cook sugar and water over low heat in a deep pan until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Continue boiling until syrup turns golden brown. Remove from heat and add hot water. Be very careful! Mixture will spatter. Add cream and return to heat.
- Boil until thickened for about 6-8 minutes. Turn heat off and add vanilla and butter, Pour sauce into a bowl and set aside.
- Peel pears, halve lengthwise and remove cores. Rub with lemon to prevent discoloration. Score rounded sides of pears lengthwise (do not cut through).
- Now it is time to broil the pears. Place pear halves in a lightly buttered oven proof dish and fan each one out. Brush with butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Broil until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- When you are ready to serve spoon enough sauce onto individual dessert dishes. Spread sauce with the backside of a spoon to cover entire bottom of plate.
- Place fanned out pear half over the sauce and decorate with fresh mint leaves. Pass more sauce separately. Absolutely delicious.