Bread and Peach Cobbler Recipe
- 12 large ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and cut into quarters
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon grated rind of an orange
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 8 slices or more hearty white bread (a few days old), crusts trimmed and cut into 4 triangles or squares
- 2 tablespoons sugar mixed with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- #This is a very easy dessert I whip up in minutes. It is actually a variation on an American recipe. Although the recipe calls for peaches you could cut up any fruit combo you fancy – juicy plums with grated pears or apples. Serve this cobbler warm with big spoonfuls of vanilla Ice cream sprinkled with toasted nuts.# Preheat oven to 350 °F / 180 °C.
- In a large bowl combine fruit, sugar and flour, Let mixture rest for half an hour. Give it a stir once in a while. Brush a large ovenproof dish lightly with melted butter. Arrange fruit in dish by pushing down with fingers.
- Meanwhile whisk together the sugar, orange rind, orange juice, melted butter, cinnamon and egg whites. Dip bread pieces in the juice mixture and arrange them on fruit by overlapping and creating your own design.
- Spoon any remaining orange juice or more on bread slices. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake 35 minutes or so until your whole kitchen smells delicious.
- The topping will turn crisp and golden in color. The juices will bubble up from the sides. Absolutely yummy!
- Let rest for about 30 minutes before serving.