Once you’ve tasted these light-as-air cakes, you will be hooked. A recipe for moist and sweet blueberry and lemon friands.
PREP TIME: 15 min
COOK TIME: 30 min
READY TIME: 45 min
CALORIES: 278 (per serving)
⇓ You may also listen to the recipe by pressing the play button below.
- 175 g (5¾ oz) unsalted butter
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 2⁄3 cups icing (confectioners) sugar, sifted
- 5 tablespoons plain flour, sifted
- 5 egg whites
- 200 g (6½ oz) blueberries, frozen or fresh
1 Place butter in a saucepan over low heat and cook until it is a very light golden colour.
2 Place almond meal, lemon rind, icing (confectioners) sugar and plain flour in a bowl and mix to combine. Add egg whites to bowl and mix.
3 Add melted butter to bowl and mix until combined.
4 Pour mixture into greased 1/2-cup muffin or patty tins. Sprinkle friands with blueberries and bake in a preheated 200°C (400°F) oven for 15 minutes or until they are golden and springy to touch.
4 Cool friands on wire racks and dust with extra icing sugar to serve.
Total Fat: 15.5 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 141.4 mg
Potassium: 145.6 mg
Carbs: 32.5 g
- If you don’t have a friand pan, you can use a 12-hole medium muffin tin instead.
- You can make muffin 2-3 days ahead, and store in an airtight container.