Basic Risotto With Herbs Recipe
- 6-7 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (Arborio) rice for risotto
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped herbs (parsley, dill, basil)
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- #Tender yet firm but truly creamy – these words describe a successfully cooked risotto, the Italian rice dish. Sitting at the top of the list of comfort foods, risotto is open to innumerous improvisations. When making risotto the rice is flavored with broth and wine and embellished with herbs, vegetables, meat, poultry and fish. Always choose a mild flavored broth or stock and let the embellishments and cheese develop the final flavor. I have not called for adding butter at the end of cooking time just because I like to streamline my recipes. I think the Parmesan cheese contributes deliciously to a silky finish.# Bring the broth to a simmer in a saucepan over medium high heat. Reduce heat and keep warm. Heat the butter and oil in another pan big enough to cook the risotto.
- Sweat the onions covered about 5 minutes stirring occasionally until translucent. Keep the heat low and do not brown the onions. Add the rice all at once and cook stirring until the rice is slightly translucent as well.
- Add the wine. Raise the heat just a bit and cook the rice, stirring until the wine is absorbed. Then lower heat and start ladling the simmering broth into the rice ]/2 cup at a time.
- Let each addition be absorbed before feeding the rice more liquid. Stir constantly. This will take about 15-20 minutes.
- Taste the risotto. If the rice is still too hard add more broth and continue cooking. The risotto should be slightly soupy. Reserve 1/4 cup of stock to add at the very end.
- Add the chopped herbs and sour cream when you think the rice is tender and firm at the same time. Give it a good stir. Remove pan from heat and add the grated cheese.
- Taste and correct seasoning as needed. Cover pan and let rest for a few minutes. And finally add the reserved 1/4 cup warm stock before spooning into warmed individual bowls.
- Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese and finely chopped parsley. Top each risotto with a dollop of sour cream.