Barbecued Spare Ribs Recipe | Chinese Snacks
- 4 lbs fresh spare-ribs
- ¼ cup dark soy sauce
- ½ cup Hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsps dry sherry
- ¼ tsp five spice powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- #Although Chinese barbecue sauce is nothing like the tomato-based American-style sauce, these ribs are still tasty cooked on a grill.# First prepare the garnish. Trim the root ends and the dark green tops from the onions.
- Cut both ends into thin strips, leaving about 1/2 inch in the middle uncut.
- Place the onions in ice water for several hours or overnight for the ends to curl up.
- Cut the spare-ribs into one-rib pieces. Mix all the remaining ingredients together, pour over the ribs and stir to coat evenly. Allow to stand for 1 hour.
- Put the spare-rib pieces on a rack in a roasting pan containing 2½ cups water and cook in a preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes. Add more hot water to the pan while cooking, if necessary.
- Turn the ribs over and brush with the remaining sauce. Cook 30 minutes longer, or until tender. Serve garnished with the onion brushes. #TIME# Preparation takes about 45 minutes. The onion brushes must soak for at least 4 hours and the ribs must marinate for 1 hour. Cooking takes about 1 hour. #PREPARATION# If the ribs are small and not very meaty, cut into two-rib pieces before cooking, then into one-rib pieces just before serving. #COOK’S TIP# The ribs may be prepared in advance and reheated at the same temperature for about 10 minutes.