Bamboo Shoot Soup Recipe | Chinese Food
- 3 oz bamboo shoots, cut into thin matchsticks
- 4 dried Chinese black mushrooms, soaked for 15 minutes in warm water
- 3¾ cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp wine vinegar
- 2 tbsps light soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- ½ tsp cornstarch, combined with a little water
- 1 egg
- 10 chives
- #A very decorative soup. Beaten egg sifted into the hot soup gives a very special effect.# Blanch the bamboo shoots in boiling, salted water for 3 minutes. Rinse and set aside to drain.
- Cook the mushrooms in boiling, salted water for 10 minutes. Rinse and set aside to drain.
- Bring the stock to the boil and add the bamboo shoots, mushrooms, vinegar, and soy sauce, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cornstarch and bring the soup slowly back to the boil.
- Reduce the heat. Beat the egg thoroughly. Place the beaten egg in a strainer and add to the soup by shaking back and forth over the hot soup.
- Add the chives to the soup and serve piping hot. #WATCHPOINT# Make sure the soup is boiling hot before adding the beaten egg. #COOK’S TIP# Try to buy fresh chives for this soup, as they have a much better flavor than dried chives.