Baked Pasta: Gourmet Cheese Macaroni Recipe
- 60 g fresh, chunky breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 500 ml milk
- 125 ml mascarpone
- 130 g grated mature Cheddar cheese
- 60 g grated Parmesan cheese
- 350 g rigatoni or macaroni
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A baking dish, 21 x 21 cm, or 4 ramekins
- #Mac and cheese is a firm comfort food favourite. Here it is given a modern makeover with gourmet cheeses like mascarpone and Parmesan, and a touch of garlic. The crisp topping rounds out the texture, making it live up to its name.# Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas 6.
- Spread the breadcrumbs on a baking sheet, drizzle with the oil and season. Bake for 6 minutes, remove and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the garlic and mustard and fry for 1 minute before adding the flour. Whisk constantly over medium heat until it forms a paste. Gradually whisk in the milk and turn up the heat. Bring to the boil, whisking constantly.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the mascarpone, Cheddar and half of the Parmesan.
- Boil the pasta in salted water until just al dente, drain and mix with the cheese sauce. Season and spoon the mixture into the baking dish or ramekins.
- Top with the breadcrumbs and the remaining Parmesan. Bake for 20 minutes until golden. Leave to sit for 5 minutes before serving.