Baked Crispy Sardines Recipe
- 1kg / 2lb sardines, scaled, gutted and heads removed
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/3 cup very finely chopped parsley
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs, made from a day-old bread
- #There is something appealing about a crispy topping on food. For that reason, it is a must that everybody is around the dinner table as you remove this dish from the oven. Serve it immediately – crunchy crumb topping over tangy tasting sardines.# Preheat oven to 350 °F / 180 °C.
- Rinse and pat the sardines dry. Rub them with salt and pepper, inside and out. Brush a round shallow dish (preferably earthenware) with oil. Fan the sardines out in a circle, all the tails coming together in the middle.
- Mix the oil, wine and lemon juice. Pour over the fish.
- Then in a separate bowl mix the bread crumbs, parsley ,garlic and lemon zest. Scatter evenly over the sardines. Drizzle with more oil if you like.
- Bake until the fish are cooked and the crumb topping is golden brown for about 30 minutes. Serve straight from the oven.