Straw Potato Cake Recipe (Pommes Paillasson)
These potatoes are so named in France because of their resemblance to a woven straw doormat. You could make several small cakes instead of a large one -just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- 450 g/1 lb baking potatoes
- 25 ml /1½ tbsp melted butter
- 15 ml/1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus more if needed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the potatoes and grate them coarsely, then immediately toss them with the melted butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the potato mixture and press down to form an even layer that covers the pan. Cook over a medium heat for 7—10 minutes until the base is well browned.
- Loosen the potato cake by shaking the pan or running a thin palette knife under it.
- To turn it over, invert a large baking tray over the frying pan and. holding it tightly against the pan, turn them both over together. Lift off the frying pan, return it to the heat and add a little oil if it looks dry. Slide the potato cake into the frying pan and continue cooking until crisp and browned on both sides. Serve hot.