Roasted Tomato Sauce | Sauce Recipe
- 1 kg vine-ripened tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Grated zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
- A pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- #There are few dishes more simple and yet tasty than a sauce made of fresh tomatoes enhanced with a little garlic, chilli, olive oil and herbs. This rich tomato sauce can be served with spaghetti, as part of vegetable lasagne, or as a pizza topping, and also provide the base for soups or stews.# Preheat the oven to 230°C (450°F) Gas 8.
- Put the tomatoes, oil, garlic, lemon zest, chilli flakes and seasoning in a single layer in a roasting tin. Toss well. Roast for 45 minutes, or until the tomatoes are browned and the juices have reduced down to a glaze.
- Transfer the tomatoes and all the pan juices to a deep bowl, add the basil and, using a hand-blender, purée until smooth. Season to taste. Serve hot with some freshly cooked pasta or leave to cool in a plastic container. #Note# During the summer months, when tomatoes are plentiful and at their best, make up several quantities of this sauce and freeze for use in the winter.