Recipes for Parties: Smoked Fish Canapes
- Bunch chives
- 100 g/4 oz soft butter
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh horseradish, or bottled creamed horseradish
- Generous pinch each salt and garlic salt
- 4 slices wholemeal bread
- 14 oz (400g) smoked halibut or haddock
- 2 firm tomatoes
- Dill or parsley sprigs
- 2 lettuce leaves
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Wash the chives, dry well and slice very finely.
- Cream the butter with the horseradish, salt, garlic salt and chives, and spread on the bread. Cut each slice diagonally to form two triangles.
- Skin the fish, remove any bones and cut into pieces to fit the bread triangles. Place one piece of fish on each triangle.
- Wash, dry and slice the tomatoes. Wash the dill or parsley and the lettuce and allow to drain.
- Place a slice of tomato on half the pieces of fish and tuck half a lettuce leaf under the rest.
- Garnish with a dill or parsley sprig. Sprinkle with pepper before serving.