Meat Briouates Recipe – Snacks
The Moroccans, who enjoy mixing sweet and savoury tastes, traditionally sprinkle these little pastry snacks with ground cinnamon and icing sugar. It is an unusual but delicious combination.
- 6 oz (175 g) filo pastry
- ½ oz – 3 tbsp (40 g) butter, melted
- Sunflower oil, for frying
- Fresh flat leaf parsley, to garnish
- Ground cinnamon and icing sugar, to serve (optional)
- #For the meat filling#
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh
- Coriander, chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 12 oz (375 g) lean minced beef or lamb
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground coriander
- Good pinch of ground ginger
- 2 eggs, beaten
- First make the filling. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and herbs over a gentle heat for about 4 minutes until the onion is softened. Add the meat and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the meat is evenly browned and most of the moisture has evaporated.
- Drain away any excess fat and stir in the spices. Cook for 1 minute, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the beaten eggs. Stir until they begin to set and resemble lightly scrambled eggs. Set aside.
- Take a sheet of filo pastry and cut into 8.5cm/3½ in strips. Cover the remaining pastry with damp dish towels to prevent it from drying out. Brush the strip with melted butter, then place a heaped teaspoon of the meat filling at one end of the strip, about 1cm/½ in from the end. Fold one comer over the filling to make a triangular shape.
- Fold the “triangle” over itself and then continue to fold, keeping the triangle shape, until you reach the end of the strip. Continue in this way until all the mixture has been used up. Make about 23 more in the same way.
- Heat about 1cm/½ in oil in a heavy-based pan and fry the briouates in batches for 2-3 minutes until golden, turning once. Drain on kitchen paper and arrange on a serving plate. Serve garnished with fresh parsley and sprinkled with ground cinnamon and icing sugar, if you like the combination.