Chinese Style: Spicy Cucumbers Recipe
This refreshing side dish is perfect served with a spicy main course. TIME: Preparation takes 30 minutes, microwave cooking takes 2 minutes.
- 1 large cucumber
- 3 tbsps light soy sauce
- Pinch five-spice powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tsps sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsps Chinese parsley leaves (cilantro leaves)
- Peel thin strips off the cucumber with a canelle knife for a white and green striped effect. Cut in half lengthwise, or in quarters if the cucumber is thick. Cut the lengths into 2-inch pieces. Sprinkle with salt and leave to stand 30 minutes.
- Wash and dry well. Combine the cucumber with all the remaining ingredients, except the parsley, in a deep bowl. Partially cover and cook for 2 minutes on HIGH.
- Add the parsley and leave in the bowl to cool. When cold, refrigerate. Serve on the same day.