Candied Apples Recipe | Chinese Cuisine
Candied fruit recipes are popular in Chinese cuisine. This one is extra special with a rich batter, and delicious sesame seeds to garnish. TIME: Preparation takes about 10 minutes, cooking takes 5 minutes.
- 3 cooking apples
- 1 quart fresh oil
- 1¾ cups sesame oil
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsps flour
- 3 tbsps cornstarch Ice water
- Peel and core the apples and cut into thick circles.
- Mix the batter ingredients together to make a smooth, thick batter, adding water as necessary.
- Dip the apples in flour and then into the batter.
- Mix the two oils together and heat to moderate. Deep-fry the apples slices for about 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil until it is hot, then fry the apple slices again, for about 40 seconds. This will make them nice and crisp.
- Pour off most of the oil used to fry the apples, leaving about 3 tablespoons. Add the sugar to this and stir over high heat until the sugar caramelizes. Add the apple slices and sesame seeds and stir to coat evenly then remove.
- Dip the slices into ice cold water to set the syrup before serving.