Baked Pasta: Wild Mushroom Lasagne Recipe
- 375-g pack fresh lasagne sheets
- #Bechamel Sauce#
- 50 g butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 750 ml milk
- #Wild Mushroom Filling#
- 50 g butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 kg wild mushrooms, sliced
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 300 g Fontina cheese, grated
- 50 g finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A baking dish, about 30 x 20 cm
- #Lasagne may well be one of the best-loved of all Italian pasta dishes. Here, mushrooms are combined with Fontina cheese and a creamy bechamel sauce, with mouthwatering results.# To make the bechamel sauce, put the butter in a saucepan set over medium heat. When the butter sizzles, stir in the flour and nutmeg and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and pour the milk into the pan, whisking constantly. Return the pan to low heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas 4.
- For the wild mushroom filling, put the butter and oil in a frying pan set over high heat and add the onion, garlic and bay leaves. Cook for 5 minutes until the onion has softened and turned opaque.
- Add the mushrooms, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are evenly cooked.
- Add the stock and tomato puree and increase the heat to high. Simmer rapidly until the liquid has reduced by half. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Line the bottom of an oiled baking dish with lasagne sheets. Spread over a quarter of the bechamel sauce. Add one-third each of the wild mushrooms and grated cheese.
- Repeat the process and finish with a sheet of lasagne. Spoon over the remaining sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling. Leave to rest for 10 minutes before serving.