Whole Rainbow Trout with Lemon and Ginger Stuffing
- 12 oz (375 g) wild rice
- 3 oz (75 g) pine kernels, toasted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely snipped chives, more for garnish
- 3 bunches spring onions, finely sliced
- 3 oz (75 g) piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- Grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 6 rainbow trout, cleaned
- 2 oz (50 g) butter, softened
- Salt and pepper
- Strips of lemon rind, to garnish
- Cook the wild rice in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 40-45 minutes, or according to packet instructions, until tender. Drain thoroughly.
- Turn the rice into a large bowl, add the toasted pine kernels, chives, spring onions, ginger and lemon rind. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stuff the trout with the mixture.
- Line a baking sheet with a large piece of foil, allowing sufficient to fold over comfortably. Spread the butter over the foil. Put the trout on top and pour over the lemon juice. Fold the foil over the trout and fold the edges together to seal.
- Place in a preheated oven, 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6, and bake for 15 minutes until cooked. Serve immediately, garnished with chives and strips of lemon rind.