Spreads and Fillings: Mosaic Loaf Recipe
- 1 small light rye loaf
- 6 oz (175 g) soft butter
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2 cooked carrot
- 2 oz (50 g) canned mushrooms
- 4 oz (100 g) ham
- 1 spring onion
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Pinch celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 stuffed olives, sliced
- Cut off one end of the loaf. With a long, sharp knife, cut all round the inside of the loaf 1 cm (1/2) inch from the crust and, using your hand, scoop out the bread from inside.
- Place the butter in a bowl and beat until light and creamy.
- Shell the hard-boiled eggs, cut them in half and remove the yolks.
- Sieve the yolks into the butter and mix well.
- Finely dice the egg whites and the carrot.
- Drain the mushrooms and chop finely, together with the ham, spring onion and capers.
- Stir all the chopped ingredients into the butter mixture, followed by the sliced olives.
- Season with celery salt, salt and pepper. Spoon the mixture into the loaf, filling it completely, and pressing down so that no spaces are left.
- Replace the piece originally sliced off, wrap the loaf in kitchen foil and leave to stand for a few hours in the refrigerator.