Smorgasbord Recipes: Smoked Mackerel
- 1 large slice rye bread
- 1/4 oz (7g) soft butter
- 2—3 lettuce leaves
- 2 oz (50 g) curd cheese
- 1 tablespoon single cream
- Pinch each salt, sugar and white pepper
- 1/2 small pear
- 1/2 small banana
- Few drops lemon juice
- 4 oz (100g) smoked mackerel fillet
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Dill sprig (optional)
- Spread the bread with the butter and top with the lettuce.
- Mix together the curd cheese, cream, salt, sugar and white pepper.
- Wash and core the pear and coarsely grate into the mixture.
- Peel and dice the banana, add to the mixture and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Stir well and spoon onto the lettuce. Cut the fish fillet into thick slices and arrange in a fan-shape on top.
- Sprinkle with coarsely ground black pepper, and garnish with dill, if used. #COOK’S TIP# You can replace the mackerel fillet with cold roast pork, rolls of smoked tongue or diced smoked ham.