Healthy Best Diet Recipes: Chipotle Chicken with Quick Pickled Cabbage
Chipotle paste is now available in most supermarkets and is a fantastically versatile store cupboard ingredient; from stirring into a chilli to making a dressing for roasted vegetables. It is made from smoke-dried jalapeno peppers and instantly delivers a deep smoky heat. Paired with the pickled cabbage and yoghurt this dish will certainly wake up your taste buds and makes a great hot lunch or quick supper.
- 100 g red cabbage, core removed
- 1 heaped tablespoon brown sugar
- 125 ml white malt vinegar
- 11/2 teaspoons salt
- 300 g free-range skinless chicken mini fillets
- 11/2 tablespoons chipotle paste
- 100% mild and light olive oil spray
- 2 heaped tablespoons unsweetened natural yoghurt (about 4% fat)
- Pinch of flaked sea salt, such as Maldon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Small handful fresh coriander, tender stalks and leaves
- Shred the cabbage very finely using a food processor, mandoline or very sharp knife, and tip into a wide shallow bowl.
- Mix together the sugar, vinegar and salt until dissolved. Pour over the cabbage and mix well. Set aside, mixing occasionally.
- Coat the chicken with the chipotle paste.
- Spritz a wide shallow frying pan with a small amount of oil. Place over a medium heat and, when hot, add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes each side.
- Season the yoghurt with sea salt flakes and pepper.
- Drain the cabbage (this removes most of the sugar) and mix in the coriander leaves.
- Transfer the pickled cabbage to two plates. Serve with the chicken on top and dress with the yoghurt.