French Style: Creamy Spinach Purée Recipe (Purée d’Epinards)
Crème fraîche, the thick French soured cream, or béchamel sauce usually give this spinach recipe its creamy richness, but try this quick, light alternative.
- 675 g/11/2 lb leaf spinach, stems removed
- 120 g/4 oz full- or medium-fat soft cheese
- Milk (if needed)
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse the spinach, spin or shake lightly and place in a deep frying pan or wok with just the water clinging to the leaves. Cook, uncovered, over a medium heat for 3—4 minutes until wilted. Drain the spinach in a colander or large sieve, pressing with the back of a spoon; the spinach doesn’t need to be completely dry.
- In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, purée the spinach and soft cheese until well blended, then transfer to a bowl. If the purée is too thick to fall easily from a spoon, add a little milk, spoonful by spoonful.
- Season the spinach with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Transfer the spinach to a heavy pan and reheat gently over a low heat.