French Beans With Tomatoes Recipe (Haricots Verts à la Provençale)
This colourful combination of Provençal flavours makes a pleasant change from plain green beans. Served cool or at room temperature, it is good as a starter or hors d’oeuvre.
- 450 g/1 lb ripe tomatoes
- 15 ml/1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 225 g/1/2 lb French beans, trimmed and cut into 2 or 3 pieces
- 30 ml/2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Score a shallow cross in the base of each tomato and plunge them into the boiling water for about 45 seconds, then plunge into cold water . Peel off the skins, halve the tomatoes and scoop out and discard the seeds. Chop coarsely.
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over a medium heat, add the shallot and garlic and cook for 2—3 minutes until just softened.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and continue cooking for about 10 minutes until the liquid has evaporated and the tomatoes are soft, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil, then add the beans and cook for 4-6 minutes until just tender. Drain the beans and stir into the tomato mixture, then cook for 1-2 minutes until heated through. Serve immediately or, if preferred, allow to cool for an hour or two and serve at room temperature.