Exotic Fruit Salad Recipe | Chinese Style
Fresh fruit marinated in orange and litchi juice with just a hint of almond. TIME: Preparation takes about 1 hour and the salad should be left to marinate for at least 3 hours. SERVING IDEA: Cut a few fresh mint leaves into thin strips to garnish the fruit salad just before serving. WATCHPOINT: Exotic fruit often arrives in the ships before it is ripe. The solution is to sweeten the sauce slightly before marinating the fruit in order to eliminate acidity. BUYING GUIDE: If any of the fruits are out of season and unavailable, substitute other appropriate fruit, as desired.
- 1 papaya
- 1 pomegranate
- 2 kiwi fruit
- 4 rambutan fruit
- 4 canned litchis, plus the juice from the can
- 3 blood oranges
- 3 drops bitter almond extract, or ordinary almond extract
- Peel all the fruit except the oranges, removing pips or pitting each fruit as necessary. Try to buy a fully ripe papaya for the salad. Cut it in half. Using a small spoon, remove all the pips and any stringy skin around them. Peel each half, but not too thickly as the flesh immediately below the skin is very good. Finally, cut the flesh into thin slices or other fancy shapes.
- Peel two of the oranges. Remove all the pith and cut the flesh into small pieces.
- Squeeze the juice from the remaining orange, mix this with the canned litchi juice and add the almond extract.
- Cut all the remaining fruit into slices, rounds or small cubes and combine these with the prepared papaya and oranges in a bowl. Pour over the almond flavored juices and leave the salad to marinate for a few hours in the refrigerator.
- Serve chilled.