Eggplant Dip Sauce Recipe
This is an appetizer to serve with drinks and crisp sticks of raw vegetables. Eggplants are particularly popular in Israel, where they are almost a staple food.
- 2 eggplants, about 10 oz (275 g) each
- ⅔ cup (¼ pint/150 ml) olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Fresh coriander sprigs, to garnish
- Black and green olives, to serve
- Preheat the grill.
- Cut both the eggplants in half lengthways and put them on a sheet of foil, skin side up.
- Grill at least 2 in (5 cm) away from the heat for 20 minutes.
- The skin will start to wrinkle and the flesh will become slightly smoky and soft.
- Meanwhile, heat about 4 tbsp (60 ml) of the oil and saute the onions in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Then add the garlic and cook both the onions and garlic until they are soft but not brown.
- Season with plenty of salt and pepper.