Easy Chinese Cuisine: Tangerine Peel Chicken Recipe
- 1 lb boned chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsps sugar
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsps light soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tsps malt vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsps cornstarch
- Oil for deep frying
- 1-2 red or green chilies, chopped
- 1/2 inch fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 inches dried tangerine peel, coarsely ground or crumbled
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1-2 tbsps water or stock
- #An exotic mixture of flavors blends perfectly in this delicious chicken dish.# Mix the chicken pieces with the seasoning ingredients and stir well. Leave to marinate for 10-15 minutes. Remove the chicken pieces and reserve the marinade.
- Heat wok and add the oil for deep frying. Once it starts to smoke add the chicken pieces and fry for 4-5 minutes until golden. Drain chicken on paper towels.
- Pour off the oil, leaving 1 tbsp oil in the wok, and stir-fry the chilies, ginger, tangerine peel and onions for 2-3 minutes. When they begin to color add the chicken and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Mix the reserved marinade with the sauce ingredients and pour over the chicken. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens and the chicken is tender. Serve immediately