Dairy-Free Date and Apple Porridge Recipe
Porridge is a fantastically filling breakfast, especially on a winter morning. Here’s a brilliant idea for a dairy-free version. I make it with soya milk but you can experiment with other milks – look out for oat and almond but make sure to buy the unsweetened varieties. If none of these are to hand, you can also make this with skimmed cow’s milk or even water.
- 80g jumbo oats
- 300ml unsweetened soya milk
- 20g dried dates, chopped 1-2 teaspoons 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons runny honey (optional)
- 1 apple (optional)
- Put the oats, milk, dates and vanilla extract into a heavy-based saucepan with 300ml water. Bring to the boil over a medium-high heat then reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring often, for 7-8 minutes until thick and creamy.
- Meanwhile, if you are using the apple, core and coarsely grate it, leaving the skin on. Stir in most of the apple, and drizzle with honey if you like it a little sweeter.
- Divide into two bowls, top with the remaining apple if using, and serve.