Cornelian Cherry and Apple Chutney
Ever since I have bean introduced to the sweet and tangy taste of cranberry sauce many years ago, turkey meat is almost unthinkable without if. There is always a craving for it when I prepare turkey for a special celebration meal. Cranberries are not available in our-markets. This tangy chutney replaces cranberry sauce in my kitchen. It pairs well not only with turkey but also with quiches. The contrast of flavors is appealing to the palate. Add finely chopped chillies if you prefer a spicier flavor. Sour cherries can easily replace cornelian cherries in this recipe. (Pits need to be removed. A messy process!!) “Use frozen cherries when fresh ones are or are not available to save time and work in the kitchen.
- #Makes About 2 1/2 Cups#
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tart green apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup cornelian cherries
- 1 thin slice of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Sweat the onions in the oil until they are translucent, for about 10 minutes.
- Add vinegar, apples;, cherries, ginger and allspice.
- Simmer for 30 minutes. Serve at room temperature.