Cod Baked with Potatoes, Onions and Tomatoes
- 12 small new potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra for coating
- 4 cod fillets
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic dove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 14 oz (1 x 425 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 4 fl oz (125 ml) dry white wine or Fish Stock
- 3 oz (75 g) fine breadcrumbs
- 2 oz (50 g) freshly grated Parmesan or Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped parsley, to garnish
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until almost done. Cut them into thick slices and coat them in olive oil. Arrange them around the edge of a greased ovenproof dish and place the fish in the center.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the onion and sauté gently for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and oregano and cook for 2—3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, wine or stock and salt and pepper to taste and simmer for a few minutes.
- Spoon half of the tomato mixture over the potatoes and fish in the ovenproof dish. Mix the remaining sauce in a small bowl with the breadcrumbs and cheese and then pour over the fish.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6, for 15 minutes or until the fish is cooked. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve immediately.