Chinese Cuisine: Steamed Chicken Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs boned chicken
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsps oil or cooked oil
- 1/2 tsp monosodium glutamate (optional)
- 4 oz dried mushrooms, soaked in boiling water for 5 minutes and sliced, or ordinary mushrooms
- 1/2 inch fresh root ginger, peeled and sliced
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsps stock or water, if needed
- #A great method of cooking chicken and one which brings out all its flavor.# Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces. Mix the seasoning ingredients together and mix with the chicken. Leave to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Place a plate in a steamer and put the chicken, mushrooms, ginger, half the onion and the stock on top. Steam over boiling water for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with the remaining onions sprinkled over the chicked, The steaming can also be done on a greased lotus leaf or a banana leaf. The flavor is quite stunning. #COOK’S TIP# If you can obtain dried mushrooms do use them as their flavor is far superior to ordinary mushrooms.