Chillies Stuffed with Curried Crab Recipe
Use jalapeno chillies if possible for this recipe as they have thicker flesh than some of the other chillies, which makes them easier to peel and stuff.
- 6 red jalaeno chillies
- 6 green jalapeno chillies
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh root ginger
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 5 oz (150 g) fresh or canned white crab meat, flaked
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Thai fish sauce
- To prepare the, chillies for stuffing, place them under a preheated hot grill and cook them, turning occasionally, until they have softened and their skins are patched with black. This will take about 8—10 minutes.
- Remove the chillies from the grill and leave them to cool, covered with sheets of dampened kitchen paper. (This will make them easier to peel once they have cooled.)
- Meanwhile, prepare the stuffing. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the garlic, ginger and spring onions and cook over a gentle heat for 3 minutes, until softened. Stir in the lime leaves, red curry paste and turmeric and cook, stirring, for a further 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the flaked crab meat, lime juice and fish sauce.
- Peel the chillies, leaving the stalks intact, and make a slit down one side of each chilli from the stalk to the tip. Scrape out and discard the seeds. Stuff the chillies with the curried crab mixture. Place them in a shallow ovenproof dish and cover them with foil.
- Cook the chillies in a preheated oven, 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6, for 15 minutes, until they are heated through. Serve immediately.