PREP TIME: 20 min (plus soaking overnight)
COOK TIME: 2 ½ h
READY TIME: 2 h 50 min
CALORIES: 140 Kcal
⇓ You may also listen to the recipe by pressing the play button below.
- 125 g (4 oz) haricot beans, soaked overnight
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1.8 litres (3 pints) water
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh marjoram
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 small turnip, diced
- 1-2 celery sticks, chopped
- 250 g (8 oz) cabbage, shredded
- 50 g (2 oz) small pasta shapes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
1 Drain the beans and rinse under running cold water.
2 Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onions and garlic. Saute gently for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown.
3 Add the beans, water, herbs and tomatoes, cover the pan and simmer gently for 2 hours. Add the carrots and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the potatoes and turnip and cook for another 10 minutes.
4 Add the celery and cabbage to the soup with the pasta shapes and cook for 10 minutes, or until the pasta and all the vegetables are tender. Add the parsley and season to taste.
5 Stir in the Parmesan and then ladle into individual soup bowls. Serve immediately with extra Parmesan cheese.
- Calories: 140
- Protein: 7 g
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbs: 20 g